Friday, April 13, 2007

Ode To The Dead

So Cheng Beng came & gone.

I was back in Melaka last weekend for the annual do.

Traffic on the highway was pretty bad, though it was like the last week to do the rituals.
So don't blame me for being a last-min person. It's in the genes.

When I got home, dad was enthusiasticly showing off all the stuff he bought back fr his last trip to Sabah.
Which in summary, is basically two bottles of fruit-flavored vodka.
Mango & Lime.
Just well with beer he says.
*sigh*... (In denial that parents are alcoholic).

Dad also told us we don't have the Cafe anymore.
Guess the old men found it too tiring to operate a business unless they're retired.
I secretly pray that they don't intend to move up to KL once they retire, with the lack of a pub to mess around in.

Mom was excited & looked forward to their trip to China (they are already there as we speak).
I forgot to look for a sweater for her during the week, so I told her I don't wear jackets anymore.

Saturday night, we had our obligatory family arguement, as always.

It feels like there's never one month that I don't have some sort of squabble with the family.
It usually involves the old woman getting pissed at me coz I actually have a brain to speak back to her.
And that after that my dad gets a lashing fr her coz he tries to defend me.
And then it usually ends with my mom sulking in a corner, my dad continuing his TV, and my bro bitch-slapping me in our room, telling me to 'stop fighting them', just agree to everything the old woman says, just so we have peace in the house.

Right.

This coming from the guy who brings girls home & refuses to graduate.

And then, after all the commotion ended, it's 'tani' time...

*sigh*... (In denial that parents are alcoholic).

The old man forced me to try his new Vodka-Lime-N-Beer concoction earlier in the evening.
Not bad. Like limau ice with beer.

Saturday night basically ended like how it always ends.

Parents drunk out of their wits (and got home waaayyyy later than the kids).
Me & bro had our 'operasi rokok' in some random obscure coffee place somewhere, then bro sidetracked to Pure Bar like a moth to a flame.

Next morning we all woke up late, again, as how we are every freaking year...

Finally got up to the hill close to 11+ am...

Stood around....

Cleaned up a lil...

Prayed a bit....

Burned some money & clothings...

Had leftover prayer food for lunch.

Prayer or not, they still tastes good.

Chicken rice. Yummmmmm....

Left at 2pm, from land of the respectful dead, to the land of the dead (KL).

Fin.

No comments: